This recipe is New Orleans classic so I thought I’d make it part of the scary Halloween podcast.
- 1 quart oysters (well drained)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 French bread rolls (about 6-inches each, or 2 baguettes, cut in half crosswise)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or Come Back Sauce)
- 1 /2 cup dill pickle (slices)
- dash salt
Steps to Make It
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs; stir in oysters and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large food storage bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, Cajun seasoning, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Take an oyster from the beaten egg, let excess drip off, and toss in the bag. Shake until well coated. Repeat with remaining oysters.
- Fry the oysters in batches for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Split 1 roll or section; spread with mayonnaise or Louisiana remoulade On the bottom of the roll, arrange layers of shredded lettuce, oysters, tomato slices, and sliced dill pickles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat with remaining rolls, oysters, and filling ingredients. Enjoy!
Please follow and like us: